Callback Auditions for
The Clean House
Directed by Eileen Tiller-Clanton and Thom Capozzella
Cast needed: 4 Women, 1 Man, ages 18-60
Characters : (according to the playwright):
- Lane: A doctor, a woman in her early fifties.
- Matilde: Lane’s cleaning lady, a woman in her late twenties. She is Brazilian. She has a refined sense of deadpan.
- Virginia: Lane’s sister, a woman in her late fifties.
- Charles: Lane’s husband, a man in his fifties. A compassionate surgeon. He is childlike underneath his white coat. In Act 1 he plays Matilde’s father.
- Ana: An Argentinean woman. She is impossibly charismatic. In Act 1 she plays Matilde’s mother. She is older than Lane.
Note: Everyone in this play should be able to tell a really good joke.
Description: If you have never seen a Sarah Ruhl play, you are in for a treat. A Pulitzer-winner and perhaps the most unique and imaginative voice in theater, Ruhl has written a lyrical exploration of love and loss, tinged with romance and fantasy and theatrical whimsy. According to The New York Times: “The Clean House is imbued with a melancholy but somehow comforting philosophy: that the messes and disappointments of life are as much a part of its beauty… a perfect punch line can be as sublime as the most wrenchingly lovely aria.”
Audition info: You will be asked to read from the script… and to tell a really good joke!
Show dates: October 25-27, November 1-3, 2019
Players of Utica holds open auditions for all of our Subscription Season performances and for season extras. The general public is welcome to audition for any production that has been posted to this page. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for casting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We thank you for your interest in and support of Players of Utica!