Call for Directors
The Players of Utica Program Committee is accepting directors’ proposals for our 2020-21 Subscription Season. (Proposals for additional, non-season productions are welcome as well, but will be considered after the Subscription Season has been established.) Download the Director’s Proposal Form.
To provide audiences with the best possible entertainment, Players is seeking shows that have any or all of these characteristics: strong audience appeal or recognition, commercially successful, family-oriented, appealing to a diverse age range. A recent audience survey showed that they are interested in musicals and comedies. We understand that not every show can be all of these things, and that’s why we are interested in your specific vision for a show; for example, you might have a spectacular vision for a relatively unknown drama that will surprise and delight audiences. What’s most important is your vision and how you will make the production come alive on the stage.
The Program Committee will meet with selected applicants to discuss their vision for their submitted titles.
Need some inspiration for what to direct? Upon request, we can provide a list of some suggested titles.
If you have not directed before, we suggest that you serve as an Assistant Director to a mainstage production or direct one of our summer plays in order to apply to direct in a future season.
Please keep these considerations in mind as you choose your submission:
- Submit a play of your choice using the Director’s Proposal Form. Submitting a second choice is suggested but not mandatory. A production of two or three one-act plays as a show will also be considered.
- A script must be submitted for each proposal. We are unable to consider any proposal without a script. Looking for a script? Try these sources:
- Directors of musicals must include the name of their Musical Director when they submit their application.
- Simple staging and set demands are required. Our shows are currently presented in a black box performance space (no wing space, no easy way to move and store set pieces off, etc.). The raised stage dimensions are 24 inches high, 28 feet wide, 16 feet deep. This season, the space and seating can be configured to accommodate a show in three-quarters or even in the round to provide more flexibility in staging.
- Players a limited pre-set budget for productions: $800 for non-musical; $1,000 for a musical. (This does not include the purchase of production rights or stipends.)
- Each director is offered a producer, who is a member of our board, to be your liaison between the director and board, and to assist with publicity, budget, and other production needs. We also provide a Director’s Manual, which explains the director’s rights, expectations, and responsibilities. (We can provide a copy upon request.)
- The stipend for a director is $250, $200 for musical vocal director, $150 for a choreographer, and $200 for a musical accompanist. (We encourage you to secure outside sponsors to supplement your budget.)
- Submission deadline: January 31, 2020.
Send scripts and proposals to:
Players of Utica – Proposals
PO Box 29
New Hartford, NY 13413
Or email (with pdf of script) to firstname.lastname@example.org