- This event has passed.
Auditions: 110 in the Shade – Night 1
- Dates: November 13 & 14 (Anyone unavailable to audition those nights may arrange an alternate audition time.)
- Time: 6:30PM
- Place: Players of Utica Theatre – 1108 State Street, Utica
- Audition Requirements: Prepare an upbeat song for the audition that does NOT have to be from the show.
Note: Rehearsals will begin in April for the June 2018 production.
ABOUT THE SHOW: The Players of Utica production of this timeless musical represents the revised version of the Tony winning 2007 Broadway revival staring Steve Kazee, Bobby Steggert, and Audra McDonald. The score is lively and upbeat along with its soaring ballads. 110 in the Shade offers a wonderful opportunity for actors and singers to showcase their musical talent in the five principal male roles and two principal female roles. There are smaller roles of the townspeople in a varied range of ages. The casting age range is late teens to sixties. Those auditioning should prepare an up tempo audition song not necessarily from the score.
Based on the hit play and movie The Rainmaker , the musical 110 in the Shade focuses on Lizzie Curry, an unmarried woman living with her father and two brothers in a small western town in the 1950’s hit by a long drought. Lizzie is dealing with another type of drought, her love life. She is worried she will soon become an old maid with no one to love her. When a brash, handsome, charismatic man named Starbuck strides into town and claims the ability to make rain in 24 hours for $100, Lizzie’s world turns upside down. She suppresses her sexual attraction to him and confronts him as a fake and a con man. Little does she know this will change her life forever.
PRINCIPAL CHARACTERS AND DESCRIPTIONS:
- Lizzie Curry: 20’s/30’s/40’s….a strong woman who can cope with all the aspects of life—except one….her longing to be love.
- C. Curry: 40’s/50’s…Lizzie’s father…
- Noah Curry: 20’s/30’s….Lizzie’s older brother…self-righteous and rigidly opinionated
- Jimmy Curry: late teens/20’s…Lizzie’s younger brother … not sure he is very bright
- Bill Starbuck: 30’s/40’s…strong, slick and charismatic…a loud braggart, a gentle dreamer
- File: 30’s/40’s/50’s…the sheriff….intelligent and a little bitter with a mischievous humor
- Snookie Updegraff: late teens/20’s…pretty and vivacious
- Ensemble: 18 years and up
Players of Utica holds open auditions for all of our Subscription Season performances and for season extras. The general public is welcome to audition for any production that has been posted to this page. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for casting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We thank you for your interest in and support of Players of Utica!